Running Update 8/8/17: The Wooly Mammoth



The primary focus of this blog is to chronicle my training for the Marine Corps Marathon, but I'd like to briefly discuss the Wooly Mammoth. I recently learned that scientists want to bring back this creature from the ice age. Whenever I read a story about scientific breakthroughs like this, I'm amazed and inspired. But I also wonder if scientists could be doing something more productive with their time.

Before I hear from Mammoth fans, I want you to know that I am pro-Mammoth--always have been. But selfishly, I wonder if science could focus on more meaningful research like finding a cure for male-pattern baldness or maybe blindness or even the tiny but pernicious plantar wart. I currently have one on the ball of my foot that is so painful it might force me to drop out of the marathon unless I can find a way to mitigate the pain enough so that I can train.

As it turns out, scientists want to bring back Mammoths because they're, "trying to rebuild an ancient ecosystem that could help slow global warming." So, I guess this is important research. Also, let's be honest, Wooly Mammoths are really cool looking! Not as cool as sharks with freaking' laser beams cool, but really, what is?

And now for my non-Mammoth running update: Due to my painful wart, I had to get creative and adjust my training. Last Saturday, instead of running 7 pace miles like I was supposed to, I only ran 5 miles and biked about 10 miles. On Sunday, I popped some Alleve and headed to the gym. It was the last place I wanted to be on a beautiful summer day, but there was no way I could handle the pain of 14 miles of pavement pounding. As it turned out, the treadmill wasn't much easier, but I managed to do 6 miles while listening to the Crimetown podcast before jumping on the elliptical machine and then heading out on my bike for an hour.

I'm seeing my doctor on Wednesday to see if he has any ideas for how to manage the wart. In the meantime, it's duct tape and Alleve. Bring back the Mammoth!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Young Sean vs. Ol' Man Teare

Rum, Running and the Aunt Di Organ Recital Rule

Training Update: 8/4/17